Thursday, September 11, 2014

9/11/2014

Today started out in a rather somber mood. Given the date, I spent my morning reflecting on what happened 13 years ago. I was in the 3rd grade when the attack happened and I just remember the day being very odd. Now that I'm older, I can understand more on why, when I didn't grow up anywhere near New York City, the stunned feelings of New Yorkers were felt across country. The enormity of the situation seems to grow each year for me, this year being no exception. 

My sophomore year I went with my architecture studio to New York City and one of the stops we made was at the 9/11 Memorial. From a design standpoint, I found the memorial to be brilliant. It took the power the space held and kept ahold of it. I couldn't take one picture that did it justice. The fountains and name plates are in the foot prints of the Twin Towers and standing between them you begin to feel gravity come down on you. Even when you know a good portion of the people visiting are just there to visit, you still can't help but wondering if someone is there to pay homage to a passed love one. The only picture I liked from the visit was one I got of one of my classmates.


This pretty much sums up the feeling you get visiting the memorial. Even when you don't know any of the names, you still feel connected. 

The rest of my day was spent in class and doing homework! I also took a big leap and applied for a spring break study abroad trip to Berlin. It would be in conjunction with my 4th year topical studio and it's based on studying public space. I'm really excited about the curriculum so I'm hoping I can get the money raised to go.



No comments:

Post a Comment